Feedback On Paracord Hatbands


The Reverend Keith Broyles sent this note after seeing our last newsletter, which featured a tutorial for a hatband:

I wish I had your newsletter with the hatbands in it a few days ahead of time and I might have made something different. But, I have other hats and now new patterns to try, after Easter. We pastors are pretty busy this week but I had to send you a note. Thanks for the tutorials.

This past Sunday night I finished the hatband that is in the pics below. It is a king cobra weave with some microcord and something else I had on hand that is lighter than 550 and heavier than microcord. I am not sure what it is because it is wrapped on a piece of scrap wood I had laying around. It has sat around long enough I am not sure what it is. There are two passes of yellow microcord and two passes of red unknown. I used a mad max style closure that would allow adjustments to any size hat. I actually made this one a bit too long but removing a few knots got it right. The tail of the closure has a diamond knot on the end and I wanted to practice on ranger beads so I covered the tail from the closure to the diamond knot with ranger beads.

The biggest thing I do with paracord is make prayer ropes. They are similar in use to a rosary (I have made a few of them too). Prayer ropes come from the Orthodox tradition but mine are not Orthodox. I use a diamond knot. The Orthodox use a knot I cannot figure out how to tie it. They say it is so complicated Satan can't untie it. Theirs is also made out of wool and mine is paracord. There are a few other things too. Because I am Methodist, I call mine an Aldersgate Prayer Rope. Aldersgate is a prominent site in Methodist history. I have tied almost 1000 of these and give most away. If people want to donate, all the money goes back into paracord to make more ropes. I have attached a few pics. Use them, don't use them. It is just something different.

Rev. Keith Broyles

 





No comments:

Post a Comment